Nasonex Medication - Uses & Side Effects
NASONEX® is the only prescription nasal allergy spray approved for the treatment of seasonal and perennial nasal allergy symptoms in children 2 years of age and older. Taken just once a day, NASONEX® helps relieve an itchy, runny nose; sneezing; and congestion. NASONEX® helps by treating nasal allergy symptoms caused by dust mites, pet dander, even tree and grass pollen. Improvement can occur within 11 hours of initial treatment (based on studies done in a park during the pollen season and in a controlled pollen exposure room).
- The recommended dose for adults and children 12 years of age and older is 2 sprays into each nostril once a day.
Uses of Nasonex
- Nasonex is used nasally to prevent and treat the nasal symptoms of allergies and other seasonal reactions.
- Nasonex nasal may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
- This medication is used to treat and prevent nasal symptoms related to allergies (such as stuffiness or congestion).
Side Effects of Nasonex
Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking this medication. Side effects may include:
- flu-like symptoms
- muscle and bone pain
- painful menstruation
- sinus inflammation
- sore throat
- upper respiratory tract infection
- viral infection
Warnings and precautions before taking Nasonex :
- Steroids can slow down growth in children, so your doctor will monitor the situation carefully if your child is using Nasonex.
- For the same reason, if you develop a throat or nose infection while using Nasonex, stop taking it and call your doctor. Use Nasonex with caution--if at all--if you suffer from tuberculosis, herpes simplex infection of the eye, or an untreated fungal, bacterial, or viral infection.
- In rare instances, steroid nasal sprays have also been known to raise pressure within the eyes and promote the development of cataracts. Use Nasonex with caution if you have either problem. If you notice any changes in your vision, report them to your doctor.
- Before you use the nasal spray for the first time shake the bottle well, then press the pump six or seven times until a uniform spray is produced. If you don't use the nasal spray for 14 days or more you should reprime the spray in this way again before using it. Shake the bottle well before each use.
- People using this medicine long-term should have regular nasal examinations.
Drug Interaction :- Before using medications for other nasal problems, check with your prescriber or health care professional.
Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.
- A single overdose of Nasonex is unlikely to cause any harm. However, habitual overuse of the product can cause symptoms of steroid overload, including menstrual irregularities, acne, obesity, and muscle weakness. Check with your doctor immediately if you develop such symptoms.