Home Remedies

Phosphorus - Benefits, Deficiency Symptoms And Food Sources

What is Phosphorus?

Phosphorus is the second most abundant mineral in the body after calcium. By the reserch it is found that 85% of this mineral is found in the bones. The rest of(15%) the body's phosphorus is found in the blood, the fluid around and in cells, and in various organs like the heart, kidneys, brain, and muscles, where it is involved in many critical functions. Phosphorus is involved in virtually all physiological chemical reactions in the body and calcium and Vitamin D are essential to proper functioning of the phosphorus. While calcium is usually thought to be the main bone health supplement, phosphorus actually is just as important as calcium in this area.

Uses and Benefits of Phosphorus

  1. It activates many of the vitamin B-Complex vitamins, allowing them to function as coenzymes in various metabolic processes.
  2. Phosphorus role in the muscular system is of great importance for it helps the heart in beating strongly and steadily. It is specifically associated with the smooth and regular contraction of the body’s muscles as well as with the health of the nerves and their ability to communicate.
  3. Phosphate is instrumental in maintaining the acid/base balance in the body by acting as a buffer.
  4. Phosphorus can help maintain the health of your kidneys and regulate fluid levels in the body.
  5. It is also necessary for proper skeletal growth, tooth development and kidney functioning. Besides its benefits to bone health, phosphorus also has many other beneficial qualities.
  6. It is very essential for the utilization of carbohydrate, fats and proteins for the proper growth, maintenance, repair of cells, and energy production.

Deficiency Symptoms of Phosphorus

  1. Phosphorus deficiency is extremely rare and occurs primarily in persons who use phosphate-binding antacids or who suffer abnormally excessive urinary losses.
  2. The deficiency of phosphorus can cause loss of appetite, anemia, muscle weakness, bone pain, rickets, osteomalacia, increased susceptibility to infection, and difficulty walking.
  3. Symptoms of phosphorus deficiency include retarded growth in children, poor formation of teeth and bones which can lead to bone pain and fragility, joint stiffness and pain.

Recommended Dosage of Phosphorus

The daily dosage of phosphorus for different age group and in different condition is as follows:

  • Adults should have to taken everyday about 800 to 1,200 mg
  • children/adolescents should have to taken everyday about- 800 mg
  • Infants should have to taken everyday about- 240 to 400 mg
  • Pregnancy should have to taken everyday about- 1,200 mg
  • Lactation should have to taken everyday about- 1,200 mg

Rich Food Sources of Phosphorus

Phosphorus is found in most foods because it is a critical component of all living organisms. The main food sources are milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, American cheese, pork, hamburger, tuna, lobster, chicken, sunflower seeds, peanuts, pine nuts, peanut butter, noodles, rice, white bread, potatoes, corn, peas, French fries, broccoli, milk chocolate and soda beverages.

Family Doctor || Contact Us || Skin Disorders || Diabetes Care || Cellulite Guide || Chemotherapy ||

Bookmark and Share

(c) Online-family-doctor.com All rights reserved

Disclaimer: Online-family-doctor.com is an information and educational purposes web site only. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. Do not rely upon any of the information provided on this site for medical diagnosis or treatment. Please consult your primary health care provider about any personal health concerns. We will not be liable for any complications, or other medical accidents arising from the use of any information on this site.