Comedo - Definition, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Comedo is a type of ducatal carcinoma in situ. It can also be consider as very early stage breast cancer. The primary sign of acne consisting of a dilated hair follicle filled with keratin squamae, bacteria, and sebum. It can also be defined as a plug of keratin and sebum within the dilated orifice of a hair follicle, frequently containing the bacteria Propionobacterium acnes, Staphylococcus albus, and Pityrosporon ovale.
Comedo may be of two types:
- Closed comedo: It can also be called as whitehead. It is a comedo whose opening is not widely dilated. It appears as a small, flesh-colored papule. It may rupture and cause an inflammatory lesion in the dermis.
- Open comedo: It can be called as blackhead. It is a comedo with a widely dilated orifice in which the pigmented impaction is visible at the skin surface. Is capped with a blackened mass of skin debris.
- Comedo occurs when sebaceous glands of the skin begin to secrete oil during puberty. The oil lubricates and protects the skin. Under certain circumstances, cells that are close to the openings of the sebaceous glands block the openings. This causes a buildup of oil underneath the skin. Bacteria, which live in everyone's skin but generally mind their own business, feast on this oil, multiply, and cause the surrounding tissues to become inflamed.
- Sex: sex also plays an important role in comedo. This is more often in boys as compared to girls.
- Heredity: there is lot more chances of getting caused by comedo if it is common in the family. It is also based on heredity.
- Cosmetics: some cosmetics like cold cream, nail polish or deodorants can also cause comedo.
- Environment: Comedo can become worse as a result of exposure to oils, greases, and polluted air. Sweating in hot weather can also make the condition worse.
- In comedo the infection is mainly on face and shoulders. In some cases it may also present on stomach, breast in women, legs.
- They usually caused the humans in the teenage. The problem may occur in infants too. The elders are found rarely infected by this disease.
- In comedo the symptoms are not very clear but inflamed pores, however, can cause pain or itching. The most troubling aspect of acne for many people is the scarring that can occur.
- Choose cosmetics carefully: you should use cosmetics carefully. The cosmetics should not be containing anything harmful to your skin. Any allergic cosmetic should be avoided. No cosmetic should be used by multiple persons.
- Men who shave and who have acne can test both electric and safety razors to see which is more comfortable. Men who use a safety razor should use a sharp blade and soften their beard thoroughly with soap and water before applying shaving cream. Nicking blemishes can be avoided by shaving lightly and only when necessary.
- When you are infected by comedo soap should be avoided. The skin should be cleanse by clean water. No soap like thing should be used.
- Dermatologists use Topical and Oral antibiotics and also oral contraceptives for women to cure Comedy.