Depending on its strength, an electric shock can cause a mild 'pins and needles' sensation, can burn you, or stop breathing and cause heart failure, resulting in death.
Frayed or faulty wires, defective appliances, and appliances used near water are common but preventable causes of electric shock in the home.
Before touching the victim, make sure you are safe by immediately turning off the current at the mains or power point and, if the accident involves an appliance, pulling out the plug.
If the accident entails high-voltage electricity (such as that from electric train lines or heavy machinery) stay well clear, call for help urgently, and wait for trained personnel to disconnect the power.
First aid treatment
Online Doctor || Contact Us || Skin Disorders || Diabetes Care || Cellulite Guide || Chemotherapy ||
(c) Online-family-doctor.com All rights reserved
Disclaimer: Online-family-doctor.com is an information and educational purposes web site only. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. Do not rely upon any of the information provided on this site for medical diagnosis or treatment. Please consult your primary health care provider about any personal health concerns. We will not be liable for any complications, or other medical accidents arising from the use of any information on this site.